10 things I learnt through “College Life”
- Independence: The very 1st thing I learnt was independence. Travelling to Malaysia alone and settling down was not very difficult for me but it was indeed a new experience: every bit of it. Back home everything was taken care of by my mom but once I was in the hostel I had to take care of everything let alone study and do my assignments. I learnt never to depend on any one and use every chance I got to learn new things so that I can do those the next time without any ones help, for e.g., banking, paying the bills, bus routes, travelling alone etc.
- Help others: The next thing I learnt was to help others as much as I could. By helping others I realized that Allah would never leave me helpless and I always received assistance from anyone (not necessarily the person I had helped) at times of difficulties. It is important for us to be helpful to one another when we live in another country far from home. It pays off.
- Cooking: I learnt a large part of my cooking skills living alone in Malaysia. I tried a lot of Thai and Chinese dishes with the recipes I got from my friends. I also learnt to make smoothies and healthy meals while I was going to the Gym.
- Compering/Public Speaking: Skill wise I realized that I had an ability to be a host for stage shows in Uni. I hosted almost 15 shows most large scale with over 1500 audience in large auditoriums and some small scale events as well. I was also sorted after by other universities to host their shows. It was an incredible experience and I had the chance to develop the skill.
- Self Confidence: My confidence level did increase when I was able to achieve in academics and extra curricular activities. I also had an encouraging friends circle who gave me a lot of motivation.
- Friendship: I learnt never to BELONG to a particular group or gang. It restricts me from doing things at my pace and my choice. It becomes a personal hindrance and creates problems, unnecessary competition and jealousy among others. I was always everyone’s buddy but I called only a selective bunch my friends and only one person my BEST FRIEND. For me the word ‘friendship’ carries a deep meaning.
- Money Management: My Mom topped up whenever I asked for cash, but I always made sure I spent wisely and stuck to the monthly budget. Spending as a student did make me good with money and it also helps me now.
- Socializing Skills: I made friends with people from various countries in Uni. I never hesitated to speak to new people weather at an event or in need for assistance. I was always out-spoken and bubbly and my socializing skills developed. However I am very picky here when it came to who I would socialize with. You gotta have your choices babe! 😉
- Time Management: I lived in an amazing place called Sunway and entertainment options are endless there. However as a good student 😉 (well I was) I managed my time well for studies, assignments, gym, movies, shopping, hangouts etc., of course prioritizing studies.
- Priorities: Talking of prioritizing it was a skill I learnt only in Uni where choices were immense, and I had no restrictions or anyone to interfere with my decisions so I learnt to give importance to what deserved it.
I wouldn’t be the Hiba I am now if it was not for my university life and what those 3 and half years gave me. It was indeed a gift from Allah and my parents! I couldn’t have asked for more. ALHAMDHULILLAH!